Color Costa Rica: Color and Shape in the Jungle
Painting, Mosaic, Adventure
January 9 – 16, 2022
$2200 per person Double Occupancy;
$2300/2450 per person Single Occupancy
Rain, snow, sleet, gloom … does anyone really love January? Eh, not so much. Grab your shorts and escape the cold in tropical Costa Rica for a fabulous exploration of color and shape in the jungle.
Our home base will be lovely Finca Luna Nueva, a sustainable forest ecolodge and organic farm in the volcanic highlands, nestled among both primary and secondary rainforest and adjacent to the Children’s Eternal Rainforest. About 72 miles from San Jose, the farm includes comfortable cabins, a poolside dining hall with three farm-to-table organic meals daily, open-air studio, ozonated chlorine-free pool, solar-heated jacuzzi, Bar area, yoga pavilion and spa.
Our program will be suitable for painters, mosaic artists, and those who want to dabble a bit in both — novices welcome! We’ll present lessons on pattern, scale, shape, color, and freestyle work all inspired by the jungle around us. Our emphasis will be on interpreting the colors and forms of our environment into art as vibrant as our surroundings. Mosaic artists will work with glass, china, or paper — your choice. All students will be asked to bring some materials due to individual weight limits.
We’ll have a scheduled lesson each day, as well as on-site tours during our first days in Costa Rica, as well as twenty-four hour access to the open-air studio overlooking the forest and gardens. During free time, you may choose to continue art projects, enjoy the grounds and pool, grab a smoothie and head for the hammock, schedule an on-site bird watching tour, or make transportation arrangements in the office for any number of local adventure activities.
Prices are based on room selected, and include everything listed below. Prices are per person. Room Options include:
- $2200: Double Room in Casa Luna (Upstairs) or Family Bungalow with bath
- $2300: Single Room in Family Bungalow with shared bath
- $2450: Single Room in Casa Luna (Upstairs) with private bath
- Transfer from Juan Santamaria Airport in San Jose to the Lodge and Return Transfer
- Seven Nights Accommodation (rooms will be assigned in the order received)
- Six Organic Breakfasts, Six Lunches, Seven Dinners when at Lodge
- 5-Day Color Workshop and Open Studio Time
- One Guided Rainforest Tour
- One Guided Biodynamic Farm and Plant Tour
- One River Safari with Transportation
- Access to the Secondary and Primary Rainforests
- Airfare To and From Costa Rica
- Optional Tours and Activities
- Transportation for Optional Tours or Local Transportation (Arrangements Provided)
- Offsite Meals
- Trip Insurance (Recommended) (More info here)
NEED TO KNOW
- Retreat has a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 13. Please sign up early, but don’t make flight reservations until notified that we’ve met the minimum.
- Participants may bring their own materials; details to follow.
GOOD TO KNOW
- Temperatures for January average High 73, Low 59, with .4″ of Rain
- Central Standard Time
- Latitude: 10° North of the equator, with equal hours of light and darkness
- Currency: US dollars are accepted pretty much everywhere, including tips
- Electricity: 110, with standard US plugs
- Fast Facts: Literacy rate 96.3%; Military abolished in 1948
- Costa Rica is among the countries with the highest amount of protected land in the world; 25% of the nation is dedicated to park systems, reserves, or natural wildlife areas
- Bridging the northern and southernmost points of the two American continents, Costa Rica is the meeting point for a variety of cultures and a density of plant and animal species said to be unlike any other country in the world
- Approximately 850 bird species, 9000 plant species, 34,000 insect species, 205 mammalian species, 220 reptilian species, and 160 amphibian species
TO REGISTER OR FOR MORE INFORMATION
You can download the More/Information/Registration form by clicking on the link below, OR contact Pam to be added to the information list, request a registration form, or with questions. Registration requires a 50% deposit, refundable in full if the minimum number of students isn’t reached. Final payment will be due November 15, 2021.
Pam Goode is a mosaic artist, writer, and founder of Wild Hair Adventures, Mosaic Art Retreats, and Ciel Gallery. An avid traveler, Pam is most inspired by being in unfamiliar surrounds where every sight, every thought, is new. “It’s like a blaring wake-up call to see, to feel, to reconsider, to grow.” A lifelong writer, Pam has been creating mosaics for twenty years, always with a concentration on color. “I want the leaps, the brazen, the WAKE-UP raucous combinations that stop you in your tracks and make you look a little deeper. Always. What else are we here for?” www.pamelagoodemosaics.com
Laura McRae Hitchcock has been painting for over 30 years. She’s been a partner artist and teacher with Ciel Gallery and Artist in Residence at Olive Stack Gallery in Listowel, Ireland. Additionally, she is a 2016 participant in the nationally celebrated ArtPop program and grant recipient from the Arts and Science Council. “I try to get to the heart of the matter … my heart, that is. I’ve given up trying to be perfect, and instead I focus on finding that space where my heart speaks with paint. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, but wow, what a ride it is!” www.lauramcraehitchcock.com